Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

6.24.10 /BJJ Women's Only 7 - 8pm /BJJ Reg 8 - 9:30 pm

Me again. I’ve noticed rather annoyingly that the layout for this blog was all outta whack. Yet for the new page I created, About Me (who knew you could have multiple pages!), it’s exactly as it should be. What the hell?? I haven’t edited it at all unless something with the email-to-post-thingy messed it up. Very. Not. Nice. (Editing note: I figured out that it had something to do with emailing creating div layout code into the posts, which messed it up.)


Pffft. Moving on, for the women’s only class Kristel Roxas teaches she had some business things to take care of so we didn’t get started till about 7:30 really. We did only drills the whole time, but I liked them. Drills with armbar from mount and having guard, standing up while in guard, ect.


Thursday regular class is sort of different than every other day. Originally, it was for white belts with 2 stripes and up, but now anyone can pretty much go. He lets you practice anything you want. I went over things with the two other girls there, Marissa and Kristel. I wanted to go over passing open guard, and escaping half guard while on the bottom. I also drilled escaping when someone has mount position on you, which was something the other two girls wanted to work on. Let’s see. Out of everything I really like the escape from mount and half guard.


I wanted to drill open guard because I tend to like standing up while in guard in order to pass. I feel I do it best for whatever reasons. However, there are a few guys that I get stick with so it still needs some work. I also am super bad and mostly only go to pass on the right, with everything in BJJ being easier when my dominate right side comes in to play. 


As I'm editing this (a few days later ha), I can't remember the whole techniques for the life of me for the half guard I learned. :( I do remember him saying, don't let them get to the point where the have any kind of hold on you. To make sure you keep that space between their face/chest and you there.  I'm definitely going to have to ask him how to do it again, sadly.


Moving on.


Open Guard Passing


  1. Firstly, you want to make sure there is as little as space as possible between you and your opponent when they have any kind of open guard. 
  2. Try to keep control of their sleeves, even if they still have control of yours, as long as you do too. But try to break their grips.
  3. You want to stack into them. Get the grips, then push their legs up towards their head.
  4. Flat out sit on them. Yup. Sit on top their legs which should now be up towards their head, keeping all your weight on them. 
  5. Gradually move towards the left side, making sure to not take the weight off until you can secure side control. 
Escaping Mount Position


  1. Grab their left arm (for this example or right really), underneath at their elbow with your right hand. 
  2. Grab the top of their left wrist with your left hand.
  3. Make sure your foot is on the outside of their leg, keeping it back.
  4. You are going to hip up, bumping them up and causing space, and over diagonal to the left. 
  5. We do exercises that are similar to this movement in our class. Remember, you aren't going straight up and then to the side. It's one fluid movement.

I'll get back to ya all about the halfguard. Next post up is Monday's of this week. ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment